- This event has passed.
Winter Tree ID In-Person Workshop #3
February 12 @ 10:00 AM - 12:00 PMFree
Our first Winter Tree ID Workshop booked up so fast, we had to schedule two more!
Join us at Lydick Bog Nature Preserve to put your skills into action. Our very own ecologist Doug Botka will show you the difference between oaks, maples, elms, and more, and even distinguish between trees of the same genus! You can prepare for this event by joining our virtual workshop on Thursday, February 3rd via Zoom.
This event is limited to 10 individuals. Please RSVP through the website (not through Facebook) to reserve your spot. Please meet at Lydick Bog Nature Preserve, February 12th at 10am Eastern Time.
We have also scheduled an additional workshop at Meadowbrook Nature Preserve for Thursday, February 10 at 1pm Central Time.
Winter tree ID is a useful skill for:
- hands-on classroom learning,
- invasive plant management,
- planning for spring landscaping,
- getting outside in the winter, and
- impressing your friends!
If you’re looking to get a head start, check out these helpful field guides:
- 101 Trees of Indiana by Marion T. Jackson
- Michigan Trees by Burton V. Barnes and Warren H. Wagner, Jr.
- Native Trees of the Midwest by Sally S. Weeks, Harmon P. Weeks, Jr., & George R. Parker
- Shrubs and Woody Vines of Indiana and the Midwest by Sally S. Weeks & Harmon P. Weeks, Jr.
This event is held free to the public. If you are able, please consider making a contribution to support our goal of providing environmental education opportunities to everyone. Thank you!