Join us and see how everyone – especially you – can make an impact.
- This event has passed.
Winter Tree ID Hike #4
January 28 @ 10:00 amFree
You might be able to tell an oak leaf from a maple, but how do you identify a tree without their leaves? If you’ve watched our Winter Tree ID Webinar, follow it up with an opportunity to ID trees with one of our Stewardship Staff! We will meet under the pavilion at Lydick Bog Nature Preserve on Saturday, January 28, 10 am Eastern Time.
Please RSVP through the website to reserve your spot. We require everyone to either attend the webinar or watch a previous recording in order to sign up. This is crucial to understanding terminology and enhancing what you’ll be learning in person. Sign up for the live webinar for January 19 via Zoom, or watch last year’s recording here.
Winter tree ID is a useful skill for:
- hands-on classroom learning,
- invasive plant management,
- planning for spring landscaping,
- getting outside in the winter, and
- impressing your friends!
If you’re looking to get a head start, check out these helpful field guides:
- 101 Trees of Indiana by Marion T. Jackson
- Michigan Trees by Burton V. Barnes and Warren H. Wagner, Jr.
- Native Trees of the Midwest by Sally S. Weeks, Harmon P. Weeks, Jr., & George R. Parker
- Shrubs and Woody Vines of Indiana and the Midwest by Sally S. Weeks & Harmon P. Weeks, Jr.
You may also browse through these online resources:
- A nontechnical winter key to the fifty trees
- Pocket Reference for Winter Tree Identification
- Winter Tree Identification Key
- Field Museum’s Tree ID Guides
This event is held free to the public. If you are able, please consider making a contribution to support our goal of providing environmental education opportunities to everyone. Thank you!