Join us and see how everyone – especially you – can make an impact.
- This event has passed.
Harbor Country Hikers – Meadowbrook Hike
July 29 @ 9:00 am - 11:00 am CDTFree
Join the Harbor Country Hikers as they explore the diverse natural areas of Meadowbrook led by an experienced Shirley Heinze naturalist and earth steward. Along the way we will learn how they manage their habitats and how you can establish your own “Home Steward Program.”
After the hike you are invited to sit under a shaded pavilion and break bread with fellow Hikers. Bring your own picnic and favorite chair. There will be tables, seating and chilled water available. Reminisce topics provided by you and fellow hikers.
Meadowbrook Nature Preserve features woods, wetlands, streams, and pockets of prairie. Three small streams meander through heavily wooded deep ravines. Spring wildflowers thrive on the steep slopes in April and May. The preserve provides good habitat for wildlife, including migrating birds and bats. Birding is good year-round. A long-term reforestation project is underway to return former agricultural fields to the moraine forest that once existed here.
HCH has an All-Terrain Rollator which may be reserved for use on our hikes. Reservations are made by Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org on a first-come first-served basis. This will most likely be a good hike to try our rollator.
In case of inclement weather, check the Harbor Country Hikers website / Facebook page the day of hike for cancellation/ rescheduling notice. Wear long pants (preferably tucked-in), a sun hat, sturdy shoes or boots and insect repellent and bring plenty of water. Depending on the weather, there may be some muddy areas. HCH hikers observe federal and state guidelines so mask wearing is optional.
- Theme: Earth Stewards
- Venue: Meadowbrook Nature Preserve
- When: Saturday, July 29, 2023 @ 9am Central / 10am Eastern
- Estimated Presentation Time: 10 minutes
- Hike Leaders: Shirley Heinze, Stewards
- Estimated Time: 2 hour hike
- Hiking Distance: Around 2.0 miles
- Physical Difficulty: Moderate
- Location: 109 W 700 N, Valparaiso, IN 46385
- Parking GPS: 41.536257, -87.087694 (DD)
- From US-6 (west of IN-49), head south on Meridian Rd for 1.0 mi, turn right onto 700N for 1.1 mi, watch for the Shirley Heinze entrance on the right. Follow the drive to the parking lot. We will gather near the parking lot.